Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Weekend Getaway

Thanks to Continental we were able to make a quick trip out to New Mexico.  Before we left, Landon had told Bryan that the only reason he was going was so he could miss school and get away from Miss Bona (the big kids teacher - she's not a happy person.)

Landon has played non-stop. Our first stop was Leal's for lunch. Then we headed to the baseball field to watch my nephew play Varsity ball. They had a double header (we had missed my niece's basketball game earlier that morning.)  Landon and his cousin discovered a huge mound of dirt. Taller than them!  That kept them busy. We split up before the second game started. My sister and I went to another small town to watch her other son play basketball. On the way to the gym Landon asked if there would be any dirt there.
After basketball we met back at Leal's with friends. I think there were 25+ of us - but they were able to seat us close together and there were lots of laughs.

Sunday we woke up to a beautiful morning...but by the time church was over the wind was already gusting. Sustained 45 mph for most of the day with gusts up to 75. Pulling up to Nana's house, Landon asks if it was picture day. Think he was worried about standing out by the pond in the wind. Kenzie ran a fever all through the night. She had slept almost all day Saturday. She wasn't really fussy much but definitely wanted mama.
My sister got a call from a neighbor who said one if the fires was headed for their land. My brother in law had already been called out to work the lines. She took off to try to get the horses out. Luckily for them the fire turned on itself at the highway and burned itself out. (Kenzie's teeth appeared!!)

Monday, mom and I had planned to do some shopping. My sister called, her daughter had been sick through the night so they had stayed home. She drove over and we went for coffee and chocolate at my cousins house. It was nice to sit and visit for a while over a k-cup.

After that, we went by the University book store (too bad Bryan doesn't read my blog, because there's a visor I'd like from there.)  My mom was going to have another cousin to watch in the afternoon, so she told my sister and I to go on to Clovis.  We went by Joe's (great pair of black and fusia boots, that I didn't buy...) and Gebo's and the bakery (which has been closed EVERY time I've driven over there!)  We came home with just a pair of jeans for Bryan (which end up being the wrong size.)

My other sister came over after she got off work and we had dinner at the house - which included fried green chillies.  Soooo good.  We visited for a little while, watched some of the Bachelor and then the kids were out.

Tuesday, we woke up, packed up and headed to Lubbock.  We saw another big fire outside of Littlefield, and then winds were up again.  Not good.  We got to the airport 45 minutes before our plane was scheduled.  Thankful for a small airport, we were the only ones checking in luggage and going through security.  Plane ride was easy.  I'm blessed with good children.  Kenzie fell asleep as we were taxin'ing in to Houston.  Bryan picked us up and we headed home.  Landon was SO happy to see dad. 

It was a nice, short trip. Perfect (well, it would have been better if Bryan had gone too...)  But I got to see family, and see some of the kids play ball, see my cousins, aunts and uncles, and didn't miss too much work.

No comments:

Post a Comment