Tuesday, July 6, 2010

4th of July

We went to New Mexico for the fourth.  After we got Mom on the airplane in Houston, we headed west.  The kids were great in the car.  Landon stayed in his car seat the whole trip (yeah, yeah, I know, he should always do that...but 10 hours...)  Neither kid minded being in the seats much.  Landon got a new Ben Ten DVD, which we watched about 6 times.

After stopping in Midland for the night, we headed on to New Mexico for the annual fishing at Nana's.  Since everyone in the family was there, Nana Sharon hired a photographer to come out...I can not wait to see the group picture - it will be great.  We also had the photographer take a family photo of us (Rhodes) but I didn't think quick enough to ask someone else to take one, so we'll have to wait to see what she got. Landon was done with pictures pretty soon and cried through the cousins pictures.  And I'll have to be cropped out of mom's grandchildren picture - it was the only way Landon would sit for it.

After pictures, it was time for fishing.  For me, it was time to nurse and cool off inside.  Bryan fished all night (and actually missed dinner because all the food was gone by the time he was finished.)  He came in late, asking calmly if anyone had a knife...we looked up and saw he had a hook stuck in his finger.  His line had caught in the tree, and when he yanked it out, it flew back and stuck in his hand.  After much deliberations and lots of advice, Kip cut his finger with a razor blade so the hook could come out.

Saturday, we woke up early and headed to Muleshoe for the parade.  It rained all the way there, but stopped long enough for the parade and then it started back.  When we woke up that morning, Landon said he didn't want to go - and no one was going.  He repeated that over and over (he was supposed to ride with his cousins on the float...)  Well, once the candy started flying, he remembered that he liked parades.  After it was over, he told Bryan that "his brain was broken.  It didn't remember that parades were fun."  LOL.

After the parade, we visited Williams Bros and then headed to Leal's for lunch.  With 21 people, we had quite a wait.  While we were in the car waiting (I nursed) Keetha came to the car for a short visit.  She had her two kids - who are absolutely beautiful.  Then she was off and we finally got a table.

After Leal's, we headed back to NM to visit with Granny Foster.  The kids played apple baseball in the backyard while Jana, Uncle Ronnie, Granny and I visited inside. Saturday night was back at Nana's for fish and excellent hush puppies!  Delicious.  Landon played with cousins and had a great time.

Sunday, we were able to sleep in since church starts a little late.  When we got to church we noticed it was a bit warm...my cousin Katie and I were in the ladies room nursing and thought we were going to pass out.  We attributed it to being packed in with family (47 of us.)  Sunday Lunch at nana's and then the kids went swimming at Micah's house. 
Services Sunday night were unbearable!  The thermostat read 80 degrees!  It was miserable.  We found out that the AC has a freon leak...man. 

We went back to Nana's for pizza before the fireworks.  For the firework show, we drove down to the college and parked in an empty lot.  The best place to view fireworks.  We were right in front of them, about a 100 yards away.  And the show was spectacular. 

On Monday, Bryan headed back to Houston.  Landon and I stayed til Thursday.  I'll have to make that another post.  Just so much to remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment